Road trips are meant to be full of fun and laughter, but let’s be real, driving for hours and hours can get dull. When you’ve exhausted all of your topics of conversation, and the only question you’ve got left to ask is “when’s the next toilet break?”, well, you might need a little help to spice things up.
That’s where we come in. We’ve compiled this list of road trip questions, that cover EVERYTHING so that you’ll have lots of car ride questions to ask, whether you’re after a deep conversation or a bit of light-hearted fun.
PSSST. Your travel medical insurance can now cover COVID-19!
If you grab SafetyWing Nomad Insurance, it’ll be covered just like other illnesses. I’ve been using it since 2019 and I can assure you it’s the perfect solution for nomads like you and me.
There are 7 different categories of questions for road trips that you can ask your friends to get to know them better, or just to have a laugh. After this, you’ll know whether your friend would rather have massive or tiny teeth, and you can’t say that’s not the type of fact any good friend should know!
We’ve got over 100 car game questions in total, so you’ll be well set for the long stretch of road ahead.
Choose a category, or work your way through them all, and wave goodbye to those awkward silences.
Friendship Road Trip Questions
- If you had to marry one of your friends, who would you choose and why?
- What characteristics do you always look for in a friend?
- What’s your first memory of me?
- What’s your favorite trip we’ve been on together?
- What’s your worst memory with me?
- Have you ever fancied a mutual friend of ours?
- What’s my worst personality trait?
- What has been my worst haircut over the years?
- What is the most embarrassing memory you have of me?
- Is there anyone famous that you’d like to be friends with?
Deep Road Trip Questions
- If you could relive one day over and over, which day would you choose?
- If you could change one thing about your life overnight, what would it be?
- Do you think money is the answer?
- If you were reincarnated as an animal, what do you think you’d be?
- What would your personal mascot be?
- If you had the option to know the date of your death, would you?
- Who was the most influential figure in your life, growing up?
- Which song brings back your favorite memory, and what is the memory associated with it?
- What has been the best day of your life so far?
- Growing up, what was your favorite tradition?
- Is social media a blessing or a curse?
- If your house was on fire, what item would you run in to get?
- If you could have been raised anywhere in the world, which country would you have chosen?
- Do you think human beings will ever find world peace?
Road Trip Conversation Starters
- Which 3 celebrities would you bring back from the dead?
- If aliens are real, what do you think they look like?
- If aliens are real, do you think they’ve ever made it to earth?
- If you had to live on a different planet, which one would you choose and why?
- What is your favorite conspiracy theory?
- Do you believe in the law of attraction?
- Have you ever had a recurring dream?
- Have you ever experienced lucid dreaming?
- Have you ever experienced a ghost?
- Have you ever had a vision?
- Have you visited a psychic?
- Have you ever taken part in a Ouija board?
- Have you had your palm read?
- What topic could you talk about for an hour straight?
- If you were the President of The United States, what is the first law you’d bring into effect?
- Have you ever thought of an invention?
- If you were in a zombie apocalypse, what would your weapon of choice be?
- What is the most ridiculous law you’ve ever heard?
- Would you like to be an Instagram influencer?
- Have you ever seen a crime happen?
- If you saw a suitcase with $1 million in it lying on the street, what would you do?
- If you were giving a TED talk, what would it be about?
- What is one skill you want to improve this year?
- If you were to open a business, what would it be?
- Are you superstitious?
Fun Road Trip Questions
- What is your dream car?
- What is the best trivial invention of the 21st century?
- In your opinion, what is the ultimate condiment?
- If you had to be a TV character, who would you be?
- If you could only choose three hobbies for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
- You can only eat one food for the rest of your life. Which food do you choose?
- Do you have a habit that others would consider weird?
- Rank your top three childhood cartoons.
- Who is your weirdest celebrity crush?
- If I was a color, which color would I be?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, which one would you choose?
- If you could be any cartoon villain, who would you choose and why?
- Where makes the best burger in the world?
- If you had to battle a lion, do you think you’d win?
- Would you rather fight a bear, a lion, or a crocodile?
- If you were famous, what would it be for?
- What is the funniest joke you’ve ever heard?
- Which movie do you think is highly underrated?
- Which book should be made into a movie?
- Who would play you in a movie about your life?
- You can only choose one to keep: Instagram, Tik Tok, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat. Which one would you choose?
- What everyday item could you not live without?
Travel Road Trip Questions
- Is there a country or place that you have no interest in visiting?
- List the top five places you want to visit in the next decade?
- What is a destination that you think is overrated?
- Where is your favorite city in the world?
- Is there a place you love that no one else does?
- Who is your favorite travel buddy?
- How light can you travel?
- What is one personal item you never travel without?
- What is the worst trip you’ve ever taken?
- What is one travel memory that you laugh at now but was a really bad experience at the time?
Travel Would You Rather Road Trip Questions
- Would you rather stay in an igloo or a yurt?
- Would you rather go wild camping or glamping?
- Would you rather skydive or bungee jump?
- Would you rather surf or paraglide?
- Would you rather hike a volcano or a mountain?
- Would you rather experience culture or adventure?
- Would you rather travel by plane or boat?
- Would you rather eat a scorpion or frogs’ legs?
- Would you rather stay in a homestay or hotel?
- Would you rather travel for three months in luxury or three years on a tight budget?
- Would you rather have a snake or scorpion in your tent?
- Would you rather travel a country by public transport or on a road trip?
- Would you rather visit one place and explore it completely, or visit six destinations quickly?
- Would you rather travel solo or with friends?
- Would you rather never travel or never find love?
Would You Rather Road Trip Questions
- Would you rather only eat starters or only eat desserts?
- Would you rather have six kids or no kids?
- Would you rather have no sense of humor or no common sense?
- Would you rather be wise but dull, or dumb but fun?
- Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
- Would you rather be constantly stung by bees, or constantly bitten by mosquitos?
- Would you rather live on a farm or a ranch?
- Would you rather only sleep for two hours a day or for twenty hours a day?
- Would you rather be a pilot or a sailor?
- Would you rather live without pizza or burgers?
- Would you rather have massive teeth or tiny teeth?
- Would you rather be constantly tickled, or feel itchy all the time?
- Would you rather work in a traditional job or work for yourself?
Final Thoughts On Road Trip Questions
Have these road trip questions brought you and your friends closer together? We bet that you’ve learned some surprising things about each other, and we hope the hours of traveling have melted away as you’ve chatted.
Are you heading on a road trip with your significant other? Check out these road trip questions for couples.
☑ Book your flight: Who said you won’t be able to find cheap flights? My top saving tip is flexibility. If you’re flexible, you should be able to find a cheaper flight. Check out Google Flights for the hottest deals.
☑ Book your accommodation: Want the comfort of being at home or the luxury of a hotel? I love using Vrbo and Booking.com for those very reasons. If you’re a solo traveler, Hostelworld offers a wide variety of hostels you should take a look at. Alternatively, if you’re a budget traveler, sign up for Worldpackers to get FREE accommodation in exchange for work.
☑ Stay safe: Travel mishaps happen – so, better be safe than sorry by covering your back with travel medical insurance. I would suggest SafetyWing as they offer the best rates, especially for long-term travelers. I’d also suggest you take a look at World Nomads.
☑ Do you need a visa? If you aren’t sure if you need a visa, it’s highly recommended for you to double-check. You can use iVisa – it’s super useful and easy to use.
Disclaimer: This post may include affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.